This weekend husband and I wanted to make a different kind of burger. When at the grocery store we decided to experiment with ground chicken. It was a great decision! Husband found a recipe online and we tweaked it a bit. These burgers were jam packed with veggies and great flavor! Since it is fall here in Beantown we decided to pair our burgers with some roasted squash. My husband loves spicy so I let him spice up the squash. It was hot! And very tasty!
Grilled Chicken Burgers
Adapted from Allrecipes
1 package ground chicken
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small bell pepper, chopped (any color will do – we used a yellow bell pepper)
1 tomato, seeded and chopped
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon oregano
1. In a saute pan, allow some olive oil to heat up.
2. Saute the onion with the garlic first , then the bell pepper and tomato, all to desired tenderness. Set aside and allow the vegetables to cool completely.
3. In a large bowl, combine the ground chicken, breadcrumbs, egg and spices. Mix all together and then form 6-7 patties.
4. Allow your grill pan to heat up a bit on the stove and then spray it with Pam or olive oil cooking spray.
5. Grill for 4-5 minutes per side or to desired doneness.
6. Serve in a bun or just eat with your favorite BBQ sauce/ketchup (husband really likes the Sweet Baby Ray’s Hickory and Brown Sugar – and it has a kosher certification).
Squash (any kind will work with this recipe)
1. Cut squash and take out the seeds.
2. Drizzle olive oil onto the squash to coat.
3. Sprinkle spices on squash to taste.
4. Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until soft.