Winter is here and will be here for a while. Unfortunately. This California girl may or may not hate snow. A lot. Winter means nice, warm, hearty meals for dinner. A couple weekends ago I saw a nice whole chicken at the market and I decided I wanted to put in the Crockpot – because I am obsessed with the Crockpot. I was not really sure what to do with it. I decided to spice it up and place a lemon inside of it. No broth was needed. The chicken FELL OFF THE BONE. It was delicious. I will definitely be making this again.
Lemon, 1, cut in half
Whole Chicken, 1, skin on
Rosemary, 1 teaspoon
Sea Salt, 1 teaspoon
Fresh Ground Pepper, 1 teaspoon
Garlic Powder, 1 teaspoon
Onion Powder, 1 teaspoon
Dried Minced Onion, 1 teaspoon
Paprika, 1 teaspoon
Chili Powder, 1 teaspoon
Celery, 2 stalks, chopped (optional)
Carrots, 2 large, chopped (optional)
Onion, 1 small, diced (optional)
1. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
2. Combine all of your spices into a bowl and mix with a whisk to combine.
3. Rub the spice mixture ALL over the chicken and inside of the chicken.
4. Place the spice rubbed chicken into the Crockpot.
5. Slice the lemon in half. Squeeze some juice inside the chicken and place the lemon halves inside of the chicken.
6. If you are adding vegetables, place them on the sides of the chicken in the Crockpot.
7. Turn the Crockpot on LOW for 8-9 hours.
8. After 8-9 hours in the Crockpot the chicken will literally be falling off the bones. You will need tongs to remove it. There will also be a bunch of liquid at the bottom of the Crockpot – it is essentially homemade chicken broth. It was amazing!