As you know from reading my blog, husband and I are huge turkey fans. We make turkey meatballs often with our own homemade tomato sauce. It is one of our favorite meals because it is super easy. It does get a bit boring after a while. A friend of mine was making meatloaf for her family a couple of nights ago so I was inspired to try my hand at it. Meatloaf is one of those things as a kid that I refused to eat. I have no idea why. My mother was an amazing cook. Even today meatloaf is a very polarizing food. People either love it or hate it. I used rolled oats instead of breadcrumbs to do something a little different. My meatloaf was a great success. Husband was even asking for seconds and thirds. If we hadn’t had the self restraint to stop eating, there wouldn’t have been any leftovers for lunch today. Who knew one could be this excited about leftovers?! Hope you love this recipe as much as we did.
** The photo above shows a meatloaf with carrots and celery. I didn’t have mushrooms the second time I made it. Easy to substitute veggies for this!
Ground Turkey, 1 lb.
Gluten Free Rolled Oats from Trader Joe’s, 1/4 cup
Ketchup, 2 tablespoons
Trader Joe’s Light Coconut Milk, 2 tablespoons
Sea Salt, 1 teaspoon
Fresh Ground Pepper, 1 teaspoon
Egg, 1 beaten
Garlic Powder, 1 teaspoon
Onion, 1 chopped finely
Mushrooms, 2 chopped finely
Sweet Baby Rays BBQ Sauce, 2 tablespoons to brush on the meatloaf
1. Heat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, egg, onion, mushrooms, rolled oats, ketchup, and coconut milk.
3. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
4. On a rimmed baking sheet, form the mixture into a loaf. Then brush the BBQ sauce onto the loaf. I wore gloves and spread it on with my hands instead of using a brush.
5. Bake until cooked through for 30-35 minutes.