I wanted a 20 minute meal for dinner tonight. No frills. Something quick and easy. Tonight that meal was Shakshuka. Shakshuka is a baked tomato sauce with soft eggs. It is ridiculously easy to make, packed with eggy protein and lots of veggies and so tasty!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (“EVOO”)
Onion, 1, chopped
Garlic, 1 clove, chopped finely
Eggplant, 1/2, chopped and diced
Fresh Spinach, 1/2 cup
Trader Joe’s Light Feta Cheese, 1/2 cup
Fresh Parsley, 1 tablespoon, roughly chopped
Sea Salt (to taste)
Fresh Ground Pepper (to taste)
Garlic Powder (to taste)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Heat EVOO in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Sauté onion until slightly translucent and then add the garlic. Stir for one minute and then add the eggplant.
3. Once the eggplant is soft, about 1-2 minutes, wilt the spinach for an additional minute. Add the marinara and bring the mixture to a simmer.
4. One at a time, break each egg into the sauce. Make sure not to break the eggs to close together. Season each egg with a sprinkle of salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste.
5. Transfer the skillet to the oven. Bake until the whites are just set, about 12-13 minutes.
6. Top with feta cheese and parsley and serve immediately.