Summer fruit and vegetables are my favorite, and cherries are some of my favorite fruit. It is unfortunate that they are only really good for a couple months each year. Yesterday, during my weekly grocery shop at Trader Joe’s, they were selling red cherries and I couldn’t resist. I had to buy a basket. Much better then buying a ½ dozen pretzel bagels (carbs, carbs, carbs).
I decided to make my famous Cherry Cornbread Muffins with a bit of a twist; a lemony zesty twist! They will make for some delicious mid-morning snacks. I love a good muffin.
Cherries, 10, pitted and sliced
Margarine, ½ cup, melted
White Sugar, 3/4 cup
Vanilla Extract, 2 ¼ teaspoons
White Flour, 1¼ cup
Yellow Cornmeal, ½ cup
Baking Powder, 1½ teaspoon
Sea Salt, pinch
Fresh Lemon Zest, 3 small lemons
Fresh Lemon Juice, 1 small lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12-14 paper liners or spray with Pam very well.
- Using a KitchenAid Mixer or electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the vanilla, eggs and lemon juice. Scrape the bowl with a spatula.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, sea salt, and baking powder.
- With the mixer running, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until combined. At this time fold in ½ the cherries and all of the lemon zest into the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the muffin tins.
- Sprinkle the extra cherries on the top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.