Sometimes you just want a warm hearty meal for dinner…even if it is 91 degrees and 100% humidity outside.
My favorite warm hearty meal is my beef bolognese sauce. We had 1 pound of extra hamburger meat from my birthday BBQ and I wavered back and forth between making bolognese and meatloaf. I finally decided to make my bolognese because I had not made it in a while. When I make it, there is enough to feed a small army! There is always extra sauce. I don’t know about you, but I love having leftover sauce in the freezer for a rainy day.
I served the bolognese on top of plain quinoa, as we are trying to stay away from pasta and rice. Quinoa is always a great healthy substitute.
Hope you enjoy this sauce as much we we do!
Trader Joe’s Organic Tricolor Quinoa, 1 cup (cooked according to the box directions)
Ground Beef, 1 pound
Onion, 1, diced
Garlic, 2 cloves, roughly chopped
Tomato Paste, 2 tablespoons
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or Coconut Oil), 2 tablespoons
Crushed Tomatoes, 1 large can
Red Wine, 1/2 cup
White Sugar, 3 tablespoons
Crushed Red Pepper, to taste
Sea Salt, to taste
Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
- Cook 1 cup of quinoa according to the box directions. Set aside to cool.
- Heat your Le Creuset Cast-Iron Dutch Oven pot on the stovetop on medium heat with EVOO.
- When the EVOO is glistening, add the onion and garlic and cook until the onions are slightly translucent and the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste to the onions and garlic. Once combined, add the beef.
- Cook the beef until the pink disappears.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes and sugar. Mix everything together, cover and turn the heat to low. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the sea salt, fresh ground pepper, crushed red pepper and red wine. Mix thoroughly, cover and allow to simmer for an additional 20 minutes.
- Serve on top of your favorite pasta or quinoa. It is also perfect by itself! This sauce also freezes very well. Freeze in a properly sealed container!