I am going to apologize in advance for the darker photos in this post, but I just HAD to post this recipe! They are some of the best chicken wings I have ever made! We just had them for dinner and they were DELICIOUS, and oh so garlicky.
Two nights ago, I noticed that we had a half a bag of arugula just sitting in the refrigerator. It was a day or two from going bad, and I didn’t want to let it go to waste, so I decided to make a quick non-dairy, nut-free pesto. It took about 5 minutes to make! I just threw the arugula into my food processor with A LOT of garlic, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, and EVOO, and pulsed it around. Then it was done!
I was prepared to just let the pesto sit in the fridge for a couple of days when I remembered that I had taken a package of wings out of the freezer to defrost. I decided then that this was going to be dinner tomorrow night. What could be bad about pesto chicken wings?! Initially I planned to grill the wings, but then E and I got home on the later side and I didn’t want to clean the grill, so we decided to bake them instead. In the end, this was an AMAZING idea! I baked them at two different temperatures, to ensure a crispy outside and tender meat inside. They were perfection! We couldn’t get enough of them!
Kosher Chicken Wings, 1 package (we bought ours from a new Kosher supermarket that opened in the area called Seasons – it is LIFE CHANGING)
Arugula, 1-1/2 cups
Garlic, 3 cloves
Fresh Ground Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (“EVOO”)
- In your Cuisinart Food Processor, add the arugula, garlic, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Pulse until chopped finely.
- Drizzle the EVOO into the food processor and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- Place all of the raw chicken wings into a large ziplock bag and then add all of the arugula pesto. Mix around until the pesto is evenly distributed. Refrigerate overnight.
- About 30 minutes before you are going to bake the wings, remove the bag of wings from the fridge and allow to come to room temperature on the counter.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cover a sheet pan with aluminum foil and spray with Pam.
- Once the wings have come to room temperature, lay them out in rows on the sheet pan.
- Bake at 400 for 15 minutes and then lower the temperature of the oven to 350 and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Eat immediately! Be careful to have a napkin with you. They can be a little messy!